Episode 14 Summary:
Zakiyrah and Mikey getting into the many reasons why people are not getting fast hair sales.
They share their investments in perseverance and concentrating on the process of building their brand and providing as much value for their clients as possible. Mikey shares personal stories about previous businesses that he started that were ahead of their time, with the moral of the story is – don’t quit because you don’t see rapid results.
Let Zakiyrah and Mikey motivate your efforts in building your hair business by focusing on “the work not the win.”
● Zakiyrah and Mikey give a recap of their holiday season.
● They discuss their new hair extension called the Indian Remy Body Wave, size 18-28 inches, with ultra-low prices
● The Member of the Month is a program in their Start a Hair Extension BusinessFacebook group, which has almost 9,000 members.
● Start a Hair Extension Business Facebook group had approximately 33,000
interactions in the last 28 days.
● People are getting frustrated because they are getting decent traffic to their website, but they aren’t getting sales.
● The importance of building a brand: getting people to sign up to your website by giving them something in return, marketing on Facebook, Youtube videos, checkout process.
● Working towards a mobile app is expensive but powerful for branding.
● New websites have to focus on small wins because the national conversion rate is approximately only 1%.
● It took Zakiyrah and Mikey four years to evolve from just the two of them to 13 employees and moving to a bigger location soon.
● Although the hair business is an over $15 billion industry, there is still a lot of competition.
● Connecting with clients, building trust, and building your brand is what people buy into.
● Focus on the work and not the win.
● Mikey’s early online businesses include Youtube food videos in 2006 and a podcast in 2010 interview entrepreneurs.
● You will never get the sales you need by focusing on other people’s sales, focus on what is working for you.
3 Key Points:
1. Build your brand to be valuable and trust-worthy and the sales will follow.
2. Concentration on what makes your hair business unique.
3. Don’t give up at the first sign of delayed sales – concentrate on the process.
– “Really what people need to focus on is building the brand.” – Mikey.
– “50% of our sales come from someone on an iPhone.” – Mikey.
– “The kind of national average for a new website is maybe 1% conversion rate. So if you have 100 visitors, you might get one sale.” – Mikey.
– “You definitely have to figure what makes you different? Like, why should I buy hair from you when there is, like, another hair company that does millions of dollars a year?” – Zakiyrah.
– “People are buying the brand… not the product” – Zakiyrah.
● HairUniversity.co – Hair classes
● @Zakiyrah – Zakiyrah’s Instagram
● Zakiyrahficklin.com – Zakiyrah’s website
● The Daily PlanHer – Zakiyrah’s planner to plan for success