On this episode of Hair Biz Radio, Host Zakiyrah interviews Lisa Jennings founder of Bouji Lip Cosmetics about how she built her brand and how she got into the beauty world.
– About Lisa Jennings
– She’s always been interested in the beauty world.
– She would get lip glosses at the beauty supply store, but she mixed multiple colors.
– She got sick with a blood disorder and couldn’t work – so she decided to make her own lip product.
– What were your go-to products in the beginning?
– Just lip gloss at the beginning.
– She never tried to overdo it.
– When did you first create Bouji Lip Cosmetics?
– About a year ago she started researching good vendors, etc.
– Her sister said that the name described Lisa.
– The ingredients in the product are important.
– She went from New York to Canada to L.A to find a vendor.
– Ask questions – each company has a manager, supervisor, or boss – you want to ask questions of the owner.
– You have to sample products.
– Did you start off just wanting to do a lippie?
– No, the apparel just starting coming along naturally.
– She started to get customers who didn’t wear a lip, so she expanded the products.
– What’s your go-to foundation to go with your products?
– Covergirl or MAC.
– The Bouji foundation is coming out shortly.
– What do you think about celebrities that come out with products?
– It’s the brand that makes people get behind the product.
– What are you doing to get your brand out there?
– She does a lot of vending and events.
– She does a lot of emailing and she pitches her stuff.
– Where do you want the brand to go?
– Billboards, commercials, everywhere.
– She wants to do movement walks.
– Do you take advantage of giving celebrities your products?
– She did, but she’s gotten a lot of connections and doesn’t have to do that anymore.
– What obstacles did you encounter starting your brand?
– Handling initial rejection, don’t take it personally.
– She still works her 8-5 job on top of her brand.
– What’s one of your favorite products in your line?
– Her Matte lipstick named Role Model, or Superstar.
– Talk more about building the brand.
– If you have a newer iPhone you can take some marketing pictures with it.
– You have to have a specific marketing budget.
– She does a lot with stories on social media.
– Did you get a lot of support from your family when you first started?
– When she started they thought it was just cute.
– When she started getting invited to private celebrity events they got more excited about it.
– There are always blurred lines between stranger, friend, and family support.
– Talk about what looking for labeling was like.
– You have to have something that’s catchy.
– Less is best.
– She still kind of plays with logos.
– What’s one thing that you’ve learned that you’ll always carry with you in your business?
– She thought she could do it by herself, but you really need a team.
– A team helps you create vision.
– PR and management are where Lisa put most of her money.
– How do you get someone to buy into your vision?
– People come and go.
– You have to have the mindset that business is business.
– Trusting people can be hard
– What’s one tip to get into the beauty industry.
– Just do it.
– Just try it, it doesn’t hurt to say you’ve been there.
– Find her online
– Social media: everything is @boujilipcosmetics
– “Not only am I creating a line, I’m creating a movement for women and girls.”
– “Everything I’m doing is meant for me.”
– “Don’t quit your job until you’re at a place to be able to quit.”
– “Use your job to fund your dreams.”
Private Label Extensions Facebook Group
Private Label Extensions Website
Bouji Lip Cosmetics