During the 27th episode of Hair Biz Radio, Zakiyrah and Mikey interview Demetrius McNeal, aka Showtime a premier fashion and hair photographer in Atlanta.
– What’s going on in Showtime’s world, what made you want to get into the photography industry?
– He was a front gate photographer at Universal Studios.
– When he stopped doing photography at Universal, he started dabbling on his own.
– What did you learn at Universal that you took into your photography?
– He got the eye for photography.
– Clients mostly want perfection today.
– What equipment are you working with now?
– His original camera was a T3I with a 1.4 lens.
– He uses a Mark III camera right now.
– He uses Mac everything.
– He just started doing video.
– When you book clients for a shoot, what’s the proper etiquette that you want your clients to come to a shoot to get the best experience.
– Starting Monday, he’s no longer letting clients control the whole set
– For a client who’s coming to you with a new hair business, what does the process of getting a shoot done?
– Besides newborn and weddings hair is the most expensive type of shoot.
– One photo takes three hours to retouch.
– You have to find a budget, and it has to be realistic – don’t be in a rush.
– He does a contract agreement for everything.
– If you’re in a rush, you have to have the budget to pay a rush fee.
– What is your recommendation for someone who’s looking to do a hair website and they don’t have the budget to shoot every single style of hair.
– He does websites too, so he’s a one-stop shop.
– They should shoot their traditional, regular stuff and anything that’s catchy.
– Don’t try to go over the top.
– Editing takes a long time, don’t expect 24-hour turnaround for images.
– What do you use to perfect your craft?
– Editing DVD classes
– He creates his own instructional DVD’s.
– Where can people find your editing DVD’s?
– What else do you have coming up?
– He’s going to slow down on photography.
– Beauty, fashion, hair, weddings
– He started his own record label.
– He may relocate to L.A.
– Social media: @nextlevelimages1
– What’s one tip that you would give to someone’s who’s interested in getting into the fashion and beauty photography business.
– Don’t get in for the wrong reason.
– Be in it for the craft.
– Watch YouTube
3 Key Points
– Be sure to have the budget, you don’t want discount hair pictures.
– Be open to the photographer’s creative direction, you don’t know what will look best.
– If you want to get into the business you need to educate yourself.
– You can never know enough when it comes to photography.
– Most clients want perfection today.
– If someone tells you they can shoot hair for $500, run!
thenextlevelimages – Demetrius’ website