Episode 22 Summary
In episode 22, Zakiyrah and Mikey interview Larissa Von, a hair and make-up artist for television and owner of Stush Beauty Lounge in Sandy Springs, Georgia. Larissa shares her journey from learning make-up to starting her salon, her non-profit organization Queens That Serve, the Legacy of beauty empowerment brunch, and Silk and Spice products.
● Larissa graduated from Penn State University and went to ARROJO Cosmetology School and Make-Up Forever.
● She faced cancer at 11 years old.
● Special effects make-up and body paint were other skills that she learned.
● 2014 was when Larissa began trying to start up her salon.
● Larissa had the idea for Legacy of Beauty empowerment brunch and embraced collaboration to launch it.
● Stush is a Jamaican colloquialism for a person who acts and dresses “proper.”
● Legacy of Beauty brunch is being worked on to bring it to other cities in the future.
● Queens That Serve is Larissa’s non-profit organization to heal women through beauty.
● Silk and Spice is Karissa’s product line.
● Courses in doing your makeup in 10 minutes and television set etiquette are topics Larissa teaches.
● Study the industry, know the players, hone your skills, be an assistant, don’t skip levels, and build your brand.
3 Key Points
1. Start planning in advance, even before you are ready.
2. Don’t just pray for your goals, take steps towards them.
3 Study the game before you try to jump in.
– “Really having faith and stepping out and taking action towards your goals is really how you get to the next level.” – Larissa Von.
– “When you are trying to build a vision, you have to put the pieces together along the way. Everything isn’t going to happen right away.” – Larissa Von.
– “Don’t stay stuck in a place expecting things to happen for you.” – Larissa Von.
● Silk and Spice – Website for Silk and Spice
● @stushbeautyloungeatl – Instagram for Stush Beauty Lounge
● Larissa – Website for Larissa Von
● @xolarissavon – Instagram for Larissa Von
● Queens That Serve – Instagram for Queens That Serve