Episode 23 Summary
During the 23rd episode of Hair Biz Radio, Zakiyrah and Mikey have an intriguing interview with Nick Nelson, celeb hair handler, and owner of Pressed Natural Hair Care Salon, specializing in hair extensions and natural hair.
Nick shares how he went from leaving college and losing his job to starting his own hair salon.
● Hair Biz Radio plans to expand to two episodes per week in the future.
● Nick Nelson decided to do hair the day he dropped out of college.
● Nick enrolled in Pro Way Hair School for hair after quitting college and losing his job.
● Princess Palace was where he had a part-time job in 2002 doing braids for people like the members of Outkast.
● NSEY voted one of the best Black hair salons in the nation, is another salon Nick worked at as a stylist.
● LLC, business license, and salon license processes were things Nick had to learn on the business side.
● Nick started his first salon with his partners and then opened his own which was Pressed Natural Hair Care Salon.
● Some of the obstacles to opening his own salon included money to invest, spending $30-40,000 to start Pressed Natural Hair Care Salon.
● Sometimes landlords will give you an allowance to upgrade the space for your salon.
● If you work with a contractor, make sure you have: the finish date a week or two before opening, have a contract, and a clause that each day it isn’t finished will carry a fine of $100.
● Don’t expect instant gratification.
● People are usually loyal to salons—not individual stylists.
● Nick is working on a hair care product line, a mobile salon truck with three chairs, and working towards movie sets.
3 Key Points:
1. Nick Nelson spent $30-40,000 to set up Pressed Natural Hair Care Salon.
2. When working with a contractor you need to have: the finish date a week or two before opening, have a contract, and a clause that each day it isn’t finished will carry a fine of $100.
3. Customers are usually loyal to salons—not individual stylists.
– “The day I dropped out of college, I was like, yeah, I’m going to do hair from now on.” – Nick Nelson
– “I will never let anyone be in control of my finances and how I live my life again.” – Nick Nelson.
– “Be patient.” – Nick Nelson
● @NikkRokksHair – Instagram for Nick Nelson
● Website – Pressed Natural Hair Care Salon website.